Trippin' with Alex Frankel of Holy Ghost!
FROM THE ARCHIVES
Originally published June 2011
Welcome to our new series, “Trippin’” where we ask people simple travel-related questions and get back amazing answers. Today’s featured guest is Alex Frankel (right) of Holy Ghost!. Alex was born and raised in NYC, but now he spends the majority of his time touring around the world with Holy Ghost! to support their current record which is out on DFA Records. Check out their new video for “Wait and See” starring their two dads as the band!
Top 5 recommendations (eat, sleep, drink, clubs, things to do) in your city or a city you love
Unfortunately, because the way touring works, I haven’t spent enough time in any one city to name five places to eat or sleep or drink, but I can give you a list of some of my favorite places to eat in some of my favorite cities around the world:
1. London - Eat at Brawn in Hoxton. Organic wines and gourmet tapas. Its insanely good. Try the scallops and a bottle of the Anjou wine.
2. Paris - Eat at L´ebauchoir. Recommended by our go-to foodie and wine guy Justin Chearno of UVA Wines. Again, organic wines and brilliant food. We got very drunk and I had the rabbit. I still think of that rabbit.
3. Barcelona - Eat at Botafumeiro. This is going to be pricey, but well worth it. Book a table for 12 and they´ll give you a private room. It is the best seafood I’ve ever had. Make sure not to over order though, the portions are gigantic. The octopus appetizer and seafood croquettes are SERIOUS.
4. Berlin - Eat at Monsieur Vuong. When we are on tour we always crave pho. This place has it, and it is very good. It’s not as special as the other places I’ve listed here, it’s more touristy and better for a casual lunch, but it really hits that healthy-ethnic-cuisine-spot when you’ve been living off the hummus from your rider for weeks.
5. Calvi, Corsica - I don’t know the name of the place, just how to get there. It´s right next to the Citadel, and it has the best wild boar in the world. The boars on Corsica eat special local herbs all winter, so their meat is unbelievable. Ask a local where the “boar spot” is, they´ll know.
Favorite hotel anywhere in the world (under $300 USD/night)
Los Angeles - Le Parc. I don’t know why, but I love this hotel. It’s in West Hollywood, within walking distance of the healthy juice and vegan spots, and it is very un-LA (the opposite of The Standard or Roosevelt). There´s a pool on the roof with a bunch of old people in it, and the rooms have kitchens and balconies, which is good if you like to make your own food and smoke cigarettes - which I do. Well, maybe not cook, but I like smoking on balconies. There’s also a gym—where I shared a dumbbell with Aaron Neville. There are also tennis courts on the roof, and they are cool about after parties.
Favorite vacation (beach, mountain, non-city) destination
Calvi On The Rocks festival in Corsica. It´s perfect.